Sunday, May 31, 2009

On Dreams...


This revelation descended upon me out of nowhere. It popped into my mind when a couple of guys at work started talking about what kind of dreams they usually have...and what is the most bizarre one they had. When one of them asked me what kind of dreams do I usually have. I tried to think about it for a while and then said " I.... I really don't know"

Only then that it hit me. I really don't remember the last time I had a dream. I tried squeezing my brain to remember when or what was the last dream I had...but no memory or an image came around at all.... except for one.
Only one dream I remember clearly till now, but it was your typical random dream (nightmare?). You know, falling in a dark endless pit...face first, seeing yourself through an overhead camera, and just before you hit the ground (you don't see it, you feel it) you wake up trembling from sudden shock like you've been hit with an electric volt .

I stayed all day after that trying to remember any other dream at all.... I couldn't.. -_-"
I realized that my sleep is one track only. I pass out on bed, and open my eyes in the morning to a new day....that's it! No dreams or any kind of images or even hallucinations, except for opening my eyes very few times (that is usually accompanied by a change of the sleeping position).

I wish I was one of those people who dream a lot, as I'm a strong believer in that quite a number of dreams aren't just some random brain blabber. Some of them actually contain vivid subliminal messages...maybe even predictions (yes i actually believe in that -_-) . And some people actually have a continuation of previous dreams! like you're watching a mini-series !



That aside, and from what little search I did , it seems that it’s pretty much a fact that everybody have dreams in their sleep, during a phase in sleep called REM (Rapid Eye Movement) which is basically when we are in a very deep sleep . The difference is that there are some people who remember their dreams, and there are who don’t.

There also seems to be a number of debated hypotheses on why do we dream, I find myself leaning to the theory that dreaming is an emotional discharge, it's a way for the subconscious to let loose of suppressed emotions that we do on daily basis by stimulating the mind to picture a scene, a place, a person....or any other objects. And this is probably why I pretty much don't have dreams, cause I spend quite a few moments during the day doing nothing but daydreaming....I'm already "discharging" those emotions.

Either that, or I have some serious mental issues >_>

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like someone I knew, he always has nightmares about death or fell into darkness or decay...

I don't remember my dreams always. My dreams were always about devils and stuff, not pleasant dreams at all. Good thing is I always don't remember them when I woke up =)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RainDrop said...

I'm not one of those who dream a lot either, however, ever since i got pregnant, it seems like i dream more than i used to. Is it something to do with pregnancy? or is it the fact that my life has been full of crap ever since i got married, which is exactly when i got pregnant? makes me wonder

But, thinking of my dreams over the years, I have had a variety of those, mostly cartoon-like dreams but i have one dream that i always have. It's not the same thing everytime but the same concept. I always dream that am having a huge disagreement with one of my family and that they're all against me. I rarely dream of having any1 besides me in those dreams. What does that mean, huh? lol

Oh yeah, I always dream of known ppl too. Like Prince Khalid Al Faisal and such. They say that dreaming known people usually means an upgrade in life lol. That upgrade NEVER CAME! lol

i like dreamless nights, they're way easier.

Sam Sall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Walking Coffee Bean said...

shai 3adi, there are alot of people who get no dreams at all.

about dreams of falling, thats very common, i get those alot; it is said that it often happen when we've started something new (?)
i dont know really

- i talk to myself while asleep (which is sorta embarassing, gladly i have no room mates or they'll know all my secrets!), once i woke up to find myself reciting some lessons i read before going to bed!

opposite of u, i get so many dreams, strange, funny, romantic, nightmares..all kinds, some come true, others just dont make sense.. i even dream of waking up and getting out of bed, then i ACTUALLY wake up and i find myself still on bed...which makes me feel so confused and lost some days!! :S aaarrghhh

8bits said...

You are probably are dreaming, just not remembering them when awake. It's normal, and nothing to doubt your mentality with :)

Queen Bee said...

Damn!
You got yourself a pretty depressing atmosphere here. That playlist of yours specially creeped the hell out of me!! There's some....haunting tunes there...

you're...weird ~~

Roe said...

As we get older we dream less, no ones sure why this happens.
Dreams are more or less the process of lying down memories in your brain.
So if you have blurry dreams with random people in between, thats your brain lying down memories. Cool, no?
Another little fact about REM sleep, did you know that you motor neurons get inhibited? From the spinal cord and down, so you cant act out your dreams! All those people sleep walking, thats a serious malfunction in the system.

Fadiosis said...

LOOOOOOOOOL
i love the way u put it !! You know I do believe that "Some of them actually contain vivid subliminal messages...maybe even predictions ".
and i know ppl who really are connected to their subconscious brain very well.... :S
I on the other hand am NOT :\.
and the miniseries thing... OMG... my bro does that.. LOOOOOOOL.. he even tells us about "part 1" and "part 2".... and i'm like .. huh ? how do u do that ?? LOOOOOOOL
but well mental issues has to manifest horribly :p don't u think ?...
don't over-think about it though :p